Sunday, October 10, 2010

Allez-Cuisine!

So hubs and I finally got to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary and celebrate we did!

The day started with a long motorcycle ride up north to check out the changing leaves (seriously gorgeous right now!).

I also organized a special dinner for hubs at the Victor Restaurant at Le Germaine hotel.

This wasn't just any dinner - it was IRON CHEF!

Like the tv show, we got to pick am ingredient and the chefs would each take a course and compete against one another in 4 categories.

Originality
Plating
Taste
Use of ingredient

Now, as a wide trying to surprise her husband, what do you think I picked?

BACON (of course!)

First course - bacon and chantrelle mushroom soup with bacon stuffed black cod.






Omg delicious!

Next up - spaghetti squash spaghetti with fried bacon and prosciutto. And candied pecans
I started eating before snapping a pic so this doesn't show plating.








Next up was the Hangover Breakfast! Double thick smoked bacon with a poached egg, guacamole on an heirloom tomato and a deep fried dill pickle with violet sauce.








I LOVE deep fried dill pickles so this was seriously amazing!

Next was seared pork belly with a sea scallop, yam noodles and some fresh peas. There was some other stuff but I forget.

Again I started eating before taking a pic. Oops.









And finally. Dessert. What could they possibly do with bacon for dessert right?

THIS.















That's right. A bacon and riopelle cheese stuffed donut with maple bacon glaze. For real.

It was delicious. Even in our bacon comas, this was amazing. The clear winner.

Sure the soup was probably more complex and harder to make, but a delicious bacon stuffed donut? Had to win!

All of the courses had wines that were matched to the ingredients and we loved them all. So much that I left the restaurant without my coat. Classy eh?

Anyways - if you are in Toronto I highly recommend this restaurant and the Iron Chef experience. If not, try it in your house for a pot luck dinner party!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

I am DEFINITELY trying this out!! I was trying to think of what ingredient I would pick and i think I would go with POTATOES!! Mmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Shannon said...

were you already bombed by the second course Ms J and enjoying yourself SOOO much that you forgot to take a photo for us? tres cute!

Wendy said...

sounds like a great idea - our anniversary is coming up this saturday, perhaps we should give it a try!!

Pink Peacock Designs said...

Mmmm Bacon! That's all I have to say ;)

Wendy said...

sounds like a great idea - our anniversary is coming up this saturday, perhaps we should give it a try!!