Monday, January 24, 2011

You Asked, Now You Shell Receive...

I'm seriously out of semi-wannabe-witty titles for my posts. Don't judge.

This weekend was freezing. Totally bitter and I never wanted to leave the house. So I didn't. Well, once a day but that was it.

One thing I finally got to was taking updated pictures of my new light in the dressing room.  Reason for taking so long?

I had to clean it. The room was a complete disaster that was even embarrassing for me (my poor tidy husband must have been raging on the inside for days). So I had no excuses this weekend since I stayed inside for 20 of 24 hours every day :-)

For those of you who are just catching up, last week my husband and I installed a new light in my dressing room, thanks to the generosity of Home Depot Canada! They ponied up $100 to let me buy something to spruce up my house! Lucky for me, it was just in time for the 20% off all interior light fixtures sale!

As a reminder, here is a pic of the room before:





So here it is :-) The Hampton Bay Capiz Chandelier, in my dressing room!









It was surprisingly simple to install. For once, all the pieces fit and we were able to have the light sit flush with the ceiling. The medallion came with the house - it covers up the butcher's job that was done for a previous light that left a massive hole in the ceiling, so we opted to keep it.

Once the light was up, I attached each line of capiz shells to the fixture, and that was about it! I was really impressed with how user-friendly the light was.

The light also fits a lot better than the old one. I really loved the light that was in there, but it was just. too. big. I could walk under it but no one else could, and if I had my hair in a towel, I was wacking it left right and centre. This is definitely a more appropriate fixture for the room.

Isn't it amazing how something that took all of an hour to install can make such a difference?

Special thanks to the Home Depot (of course) and Sara at Russet Street Reno for giving me the idea that capiz and dressing rooms are a match made in (decor) heaven!

Where did the old light fixture go?

In the guest bedroom!!

Clearly, there is still alot of work to be done in that room - but at least it has a light now!

Photobucket

16 comments:

AM Dolce Vita said...

Ooh la la it looks fabulous! Would it look more lush if you hang it further from the ceiling?

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Probably, but the ceilings aren't that high. I don't want to get into another "watch your head!" situation :-)

Kerry said...

Janice, I'm loving that new light! It looks so fab in there! Good choice (and I hear you on not braving the cold... we spent most of it indoors as well...)

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

Nice work Janice! That capiz chandelier really looks amazing in your dressing room. It looks more put together now. And the spare bedroom is a perfect place for the old chandelier. How is that coming? What did you decide on? Stripes?

Shannon said...

Good Jobbie!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the upgrades!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calmly Chaotic said...

I love love that light and have been trying to convince my husband that we need it in our master bathroom. It looks great!

Katie said...

Beautiful!!

Wallpaper said...

looks great!

emily said...

It looks fabulous! And the old chandelier looks great in the guest room! Win Win!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Oh yes, this is awesome! I keep my bench under the light so there is no walking into the shells situations. haha!

Happily, the old chandy looks great in the guest room. You lucky girl!

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

Fabulous!

Michelle said...

I so want one of those chapiz chandelliers for my study/craft room. I cant find them anywhere here in Australia so bummed! Really adds a touch of glamour to your wardrobe, love it x

Rambling Renovators said...

Looks great Janice! And I like the chandelier in the guest bedroom too.

the cinnamon post said...

love it.

Brittany (Pink Peacock Designs) said...

Love the new chandelier! It looks gorgeous! Glad you didn't get rid of the old one... it looks good in the guest room.

Brittany (Pink Peacock Designs said...

Love the new chandelier! It looks gorgeous! Glad you didn't get rid of the old one... it looks good in the guest room.