Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Master Bath = Master Reno

I figured that since the basement is almost complete, it is time to let everyone in on our master bathroom progress.

If you remember, this is what it looked like when we purchased the house:


Keep in mind that this photo makes it look WAY nicer than it currently is (see photo below for a reality check). The tiles are starting to move around, there is most certainly mold growing in a few spots, and the paint is peeling off of the ceiling.

Oh and PS, this photo is a great example of adjusting your white balance to make it look way brighter than reality :-)

And here is where we are on the reno:

IMG_7307


See that box on the bump in the wall?

Stack Photo

Hubs and the contractor cut a hole into the wall to get an idea of what was behind it. As you can see, that is the vent that goes up and into the attic. From what I see on Holmes on Holmes, venting is VERY important :-) Good news is that it looks like that 'eyesore' can be made a lot smaller once we get moving on the renovation.

As far as timing goes, we are slated to start the demo mid-May. Joe, the contractor, is away in Italy until then so we are sort of waiting. Although we don't mind because we are currently....


WORKING WITH A DESIGNER!!!!

You heard me...after all my himming and hawing, hubs and I decided to take the leap and work with a designer for the bathroom project.

Why? you might ask?

Well - we learned a LOT from our basement reno, and that wasn't half as challenging as the bathroom will be. Or as expensive.

First up - we had NO CLUE how to work the budget. We had a budget in mind, but clearly we were DELUSIONAL as to what things cost and to what we needed to include. We weren't too far off on most things, but the biggest issue was actually not budgeting for certain items at all.

For example, our contractor didn't include the trim work in his quote. Of course, we didn't even think about asking for that when we agreed to a price (as we'd never done this before) so halfway through the reno, when I asked about trim, we had to pony up a bunch more money. That wasn't fun.

We also forgot to ask about refinishing part of the stairway. It was in rough shape:

IMG_7038


So yeah - to take it from that to this:

IMG_6679


cost money. (the 'after' photo is prior to paint, of course)

Secondly: I was making myself CRAZY with self-doubt. Since this is our main family bath, I didn't want to get in over my head with making a bad decision. I'm not talking about 'little' things like tile choices (although that would have been NOT fun for anyone involved) - but the major decisions like layout.

Finally: This is NOT going to be cheap.  We don't have the skills to DIY this project, so there is a lot of money at stake. Again - it was starting to feel like too much pressure to "go it alone".

So, after a little bit of convincing, hubs agreed and I placed my order for an E-Design by none other than Carol Reed of Carol Reed Interior Design.

I have been obsessed with Carol's design work for a very (very) long time and actually had a lot of her design work in my inspiration files. Like this:

Bathroom Inspiration


and this:

Bathroom Inspiration


and this:

Bathroom Inspiration



Carol's incredible design work wasn't the only reason I wanted to work with her. She has an "E-Design" package that is perfect for someone like me.

Basically, she sends out a bunch of surveys and instructions to fill out to get an idea of who we are, what we are using the space for and what style we like. I then sent a hand drawn layout of the bathroom with the dimensions and some inspiration pictures.

With the package you basically get a few layout options - of course you then work with Carol to figure out what works best, make any changes you might like etc. Once you've settled on the layout, she gets to work figuring out the 'design'. She will make cabinetry and lighting recommendations and provide options for things like tile, paint colour, fixtures etc.

Additionally (and most importantly) - she provides you with a great budget breakdown showing what percentage of your budget is taken up by what.  Also included is a realistic price point for each item (i.e. xxxx dollars for each faucet, etc.).

Since we are still in progress, I can't let you in on all the nitty gritty, but I will tell you that the first  design-related email that Carol sent me basically confirmed our decision and justified her entire fee.

More on that to come :-)

Photobucket

13 comments:

Designwali said...

What a great idea. Smart to work with an interior designer...I did my basement solo and man it was so much work.

Nette @ This Dusty House said...

I would love to work with a designer, but for the opposite reasons. Our house is so small, we don't have a lot of layout options, so figuring out the one we'll like the best is not as difficult. But I am terrible at making those 'little' decisions like tile and fixtures to match and look good together. Some of that stuff is really not easy to change! I would be deliriously happy if someone would just make those choices for me!

Can't wait to hear more about your experience working with a designer!

NK: Style-ING w/ Children said...

Janice, are you at liberty to discuss the actual fee?? I'm thinking of getting some help for my kitchen and was wondering what I might be looking at ;P

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

That sounds like so much fun! And way better for your mental health! If your bathroom turns out like those stunners of Carol's you shared, you are going to be one lucky homeowner!

Shannon said...

You picked a pretty awesome designer J!

I am excited for the bathroom...

and yes, this comment means, I am back to reading blogs...*yeah*...I will tip toe back in...starting here...and see where it leads me! Good news- this doesn't make me feel barfy at all :)

anyways I am pumped for you! Good design advice is ALWAYS worth way more than the $$$$...its a lifetime of walking into the room and saying ..."yup - this is AWESOME"

Jessica @ Decor Adventures said...

How exciting, and great tips on your part. We have 2 bathrooms to renovate and I'm not even sure where to start except to take out the ugly stuff!

I look forward to seeing your progress and hearing about working with the designer. Those inspiration photos are just my style too.

Hopeless Chest said...

YES PLEASE! I'll take one of each of those bathrooms. Similar to what I had in mind for our family bath in the new place. But that reno is much further away than yours.

Looks like the finished product will be very pretty. Good luck!

And smart of you to work with a designer for such an important room.

AM Dolce Vita said...

Great plan! E-Design seems like a good fit for someone like you that already have such a great sense of style. Good luck with the demo, and can't wait to see the outcome.

Forestfall said...

I've been following your blog for some time now and enjoy reading all your posts. Funny, we just used Carol Reed's e-design for a dilemma and it was definitely money well spent! I'll continue to check back on your posts to see your bathroom progress - good luck!

mMe said...

That looks amazing...Everything from the paint color and the hydrangeas :) I want your bathroom!!!

InteriorGroupie said...

wow, what an exciting move! I'm really excited to see the finished project. PS - your bathroom is HUGE!! I can't wait to see what you'll do with all that space. Love the inspiration photos.

emily said...

What beautiful bathrooms! Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

IT IS Genuinely Really Helpful FOR ME.I LIKE YOUR Publish Simply because IT IS Very Beneficial FOR ME AS Effectively. HOPING THE Same Very best Work IN THE UP COMING Days ALSO. THANK YOU!