Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Shopping for Hallway Light Fixtures

I mentioned yesterday that while hubs sanded the stairs, I went shopping for light fixtures for our hallway. Just in case you were wondering, here is what we had before:


Sexy, right?

So I made the trek to the Design District (which is in a TERRIBLE location in my opinion) to hit up my (usual) favourite light shops, Union Lighting and Sescolite.

Here is what I found:

 1.
 2.
 3.
 4.
 5.
 
  6.

 7.
 8.
 9.
 10.
 11.
12.


Pendants are tricky for us because of the ceiling height upstairs. If the pendant used a metal pole to hang down, we were generally out of luck. We only had about 10 inches MAX to work with, and most small pendants would be about 7-8" PLUS the metal pole (minimum 6" hang). So they wouldn't work.

I considered a flush or a semi flushmount fixture but most of them were either a) HIDEOUS or b) too expensive to buy 3 of them.

Hmm....

I then realized that some pendants used a wire or a cord to hang from - which meant I could totally adjust it to the room we had! Sweet!

So I picked one. Bought three. Hoped for the best.

Can you guess what one?


Photobucket

23 comments:

julie s said...

It's hard to tell which pendants have metal poles and which have wires/cords but I'm going to guess that you chose # 3! Or #9! Or maybe #11! Have I covered all the pendants with wires/cords yet?

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Haha your vote(s) have been entered. :-)

gita @ Gingerpiece said...

Ha! I was there this weekend too! For the very same purpose!  But we only have one fixture in the upstairs hall and it's above the stairwell, so I think I'm going to buy this guy (
http://unionlightingandfurnishings.com.c1.previewmysite.com/lighting/LH/largependants/195spunmetaladjustable_1.html ) 

My guess would be #3, #8 or #9...

gita @ Gingerpiece said...

BTW, #12 was actually a contender for my front hall light! But I ended up buying the slightly larger (and cheaper) West Elm version (
http://rk.weimgs.com/weimgs/rk/images/wcm/products/201212/0015/img13o.jpg)

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Ooh that is nice! Lucky you only needing one :-)

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Yeah but the West Elm version is unfortunately way too big for our hall. Sigh.

Digigal said...

I'm going with #3.

LipstikEvents said...

I like all of them... Sorry, I'm not help lol :)

Michelle @ AM Dolce Vita said...

9 or 12. :-)

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Number 8!  Or 9, I don't know.  I suck at this.  

Tara said...

#3?
I think #5 would like nice too.
I want #10 for my kitchen!

Charboehler said...

Totally agree that the design district is hard to get to if you don't live in the west end of the city. Living in the beaches it is a total pain to get there if I need tile or lighting

Elizabeth Baumgartner said...

How awesome would 3 #6's be? Probably pretty expensive awesome. Can't wait to see what you picked!
Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door

Shannon Fitzpatrick said...

I love #12, but I can't see if it has a cord or a pole.  I'm going to go with that one anyways :)

Amelia @ House Pretty said...

Hmmm...I have no idea which one you chose. Can't wait to find out!

Laura @Sweet Maple said...

I would say 12, 3 or 4! great choices!!

Heather @ InteriorGroupie said...

the black one? I am looking forward to finding out. I wholeheartedly agree with your statements re: location of design district (even annoying to drive to), and the ugliness of flush or semi flush mounted. big reason why we haven't found something to replace the ugly "ornate" boob light in our kitchen. ugh.

Alison Hodd said...

I say #4!

Tim@DesignMaze said...

you know what ... too bad I no longer see that tear drop glass pendant Sarah used lots at Design Inc.  That would have been perfect for you.  I have two installed at my Dad's house and they look amazing.  Let me do some searching and see if I can still find them somewhere.   

Sara said...

Oh, so many great choices!  Where were you shopping.  My local stores never seem to have a good variety of modern lighting options.  Everything is always so "country" feeling.  Love all your options!

Michelle Lee said...

4 or 10

B is building a house said...

5 or 6 :)

Melissa said...

You're killin' me smalls. Which one did you pick?!