Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Lockdown

Hi friends! Sorry for the hiatus - I know it has been a while ("since September" as my mom reminded me). I've been on a bit of a self imposed lockdown these past few weeks in an attempt to improve the Luca "situation" so unfortunately haven't had much to talk about.

What kind of lockdown? The kind where Luca and I stay home everyday and just focus on sleeping and eating and making that the priority to see if it would make a difference in his mood so that the smiles would increase and the screaming would decrease. (yes - super long sentence)

And you know what? IT WORKED.

I am going to hold off on telling you all the details for a bit longer but we worked with a super fantastic woman who encouraged us along the way, believing that Luca did have some smiles in there and that we could help him be happier.

And happier he is!

With this newfound happiness, Luca even started talking a bit! I'm working on getting him to say "ma ma" but he pretty much just laughs at me.

With our new happier baby, J and I actually got out last weekend to celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary at Union on Ossington. My parents babysat for us (with our new happy baby, this is now possible!) and Luca was fantastic for them (he didn't wake up the whole time!).
It was so nice to get out of the house and spend a few hours with J alone. Not that we don't love spending time with Luca but he doesn't appreciate the same restaurants as us. Go figure. Plus we have now turned into parents so if he were there, we would spend the whole time sticking our tongue out at him and making fart noises to make him laugh. Not quite Ossington-appropriate.
Luca and I also tried going for a walk between naps and it lasted all of ten minutes. First up, he puked. Huge. On my wool sweater. 25 seconds into the walk. Must have been excited or something. Post-puke, we tried again and he started falling asleep almost immediately. As I've been working on him napping in his crib, I couldn't let that happen so I spent the whole walk singing silly songs and poking him to keep him awake.
Anyhoo, that's about it for now! I have started thinking about a few home projects so that is good for my sanity. I'm thinking it is time to finally complete our master bedroom. It's been all of 3 years now haha. Oops.

4 month update on Luca forthcoming!

26 comments:

Michelle @ AM Dolce Vita said...

Great to learn Luca is feeling better and back to all smiles. I really cracked up over the third photo...ah those eyes...so adorable!

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Thanks! Yeah - he is so intense!

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Oh yeah - we have learned that Luca relies on a good routine. Makes it hard to make plans/get out of the house because we all end up suffering if he doesn't sleep enough. Luckily we are heading into winter so hibernating is expected :-)

Laurie said...

Oh that last picture is fabulous! glad you're seeing a happy boy!

CA_Powell said...

what a cutie! Soooo glad things are getting better!

Heather @ InteriorGroupie said...

Glad to hear things (like the corners of his mouth) are looking up! Happy baby, happy mom!

Shannon8foot6 said...

Wow gurl!
it's been 3.5 years and we haven't been out to dinner without a child...

Stephanie Fazio (aka lealou) said...

Fantastic!!! We tried to go on a date last night but the place I wanted to go was closed!!! So we went for a nice walk ;). Happy to hear things are looking up!

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Awwwwwww, best post ever!!!! The last picture is absolutely adorable - the both of you! I am really looking forward to reading more about what you've been working on with Luca and his routines.
Our little Coops is happy while he's awake but falling asleep is a nightmare!!! For the longest time he has only ever been able to fall asleep in someone's arms (uhhhh, that would be my arms). He fights sleep EVERY nap and bedtime by kicking, flailing his arms, shaking his head side to side, rubbing his face, and taking his soother and flinging it.
I've been working on the sleep routine where he falls asleep in his bed but I still have to sit beside the crib and most of the time hold his arms so he doesn't keep flailing. It's been working pretty well during the day but noooooot at night. :S
Anyway, sorry about the rambling! I always look forward to reading DIY blogs where the mamas have little babies like I do. :)
Sarah

Alison said...

I am so happy to hear that Luca has taken to your changes :) Can't wait to read all about it!

ramblingrenovators said...

Luca looks SO much like you in that last photo! Love his hat. So great to hear you've found your groove.

Melinda ke said...

Aww, he looks so much happier in these photos! I'm looking forward to hearing about those future home projects, it's been a while!

Lisaroy said...

I'm so happy to hear that things have turned around! Your pics are precious. Happy anniversary!

Katie said...

So happy to hear this! Can't wait for more details. But love love love that you're having more good days and smiles. Not to mention - a date! :-) Really excited for your family.

how2home said...

So happy to hear that Luca is in a much better mood! Happy anniversary to you and your husband :) Luca looks a lot like you in the last photo :)

KatieMB said...

Yayyyy!! Wonderful news! So glad! He is beautiful and you are too! :)

Sara Hilton said...

He's adorable. I'm poring over your baby sleep info right now and hope it works as well for my little bad sleeper!

Nette @ This Dusty House said...

I am so relieved for you that those smiles are coming more frequently now! He's adorable, especially those BIG eyes!

lipstikevents said...

Sounds like things are coming along. He is such a beautiful baby! Congrats on powering through!

Kim said...

That last photo of the two of you is so cute! Great to hear that you found something that works for you and Luca!

a Girl Called Kim said...

Yay, that's awesome! And he is so cuuuuute! Those eyes!
and Happy anniversary to you and J!

Anna said...

Gosh he is so like you, it is just adorable. So glad to hear he is past that initial stage...part of me wishes they just popped out 1 year old - but then you'd miss all the fun baby stuff, so I guess not!

Ameena said...

My daughter screamed non stop for 3 months...she was colicky, to say the least. I can sympathize! Just know that it gets better. Much better.


He is a cute little thing!!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I'm so happy he's doing so well. And you both look so great and so happy in that last image. I'm very familiar with the puking. Henry is a puker big time. It's gotten to the point that I wear a cardigan over my work clothes so I don't have to change 3 times in the morning.

Lindsey said...

He is gorgeous, those eyes are incredible! So glad things are looking up and that you are getting more smiles!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

I just finished the blog. Really very helpful. Thanks for sharing such an amazing
blog.

ming green marble Tile