Wednesday, November 28, 2012

One of a Kind Show - Mom Styles

Guess what - I finally made it out of the house!! What a day!!

I was lucky enough to be invited to the media preview of the One of a Kind Show. I had never been to the preview before and I was super pumped to go. Not only would I get an insider's view of of the show, but I would get said view while eating delicious doughnuts!

Alas, it wasn't meant to be. I couldn't get a sitter for Luca so I wasn't able to make it. Instead, I hit the show up yesterday and learned something very interesting.

Going to the OOAK show during a weekday is TOTALLY different than going on a weekend or an evening. First up, it isn't as busy (however it was still busier than I would have expected). More importantly, it is seriously built for moms (and filled with them!). I can't believe how many strollers and babies and well dressed mommies were cruising the show. They even have a changing/feeding room set up that had something like 6 change tables and stacks of diapers. This show definitely understands its market!! It is actually really nice being somewhere with Luca where I'm not getting cut-eyes from people for getting in the way.

Anyhoo - this year's show is fantastic, to say the least. I've always enjoyed looking at all of the jewellery on display, but  this year my eyes were drawn to some new artisans :-)

Booth L-29 was the super cute Patouche! I instantly fell in love with the adorable clothing and accessories for kids. I could totally picture Luca wearing the owl hat. 

Untitled


Untitled


And look at this adorable outfit!
Untitled

Booth T-36 is one that you really shouldn't miss! If Luca were older, I betcha I wouldn't have made it past this booth without picking up at least one of these little guys from the Monster Factory...
Untitled

Untitled

Another favourite was Booth I-22 - Lovell Designs. The set up was gorgeous - I would love to have storage filled with those beautiful bins! Plus that carpet is pretty sweet as well :-)
Untitled

Untitled

I stopped at Heidi Van Veen (Booth H-11) as soon as I saw those stockings. Of course, I'm on a stocking hunt and these were gorgeous!
Untitled

Untitled

Him Creations at Booth D-05 was such a fun place to stop! Rows and rows of these itty bitty creatures - it was hard to pick a favourite! 
Untitled

Untitled

And finally, a crowd favourite at Booth B-59 - Velvet Moustache. These pillow creatures were soft and cuddly and kind of hilarious at the same time. I didn't take a picture myself, but they also sold these really funny eye masks that seemed fitting given how tired most of the moms probably were!
Untitled



So there you have it! Just a small representation of the amazing artisans that are at this year's One of  Kind Show. If you haven't been yet, you should definitely go. The show is open late on Thursday (until 11 p.m.) so if you work during the day, try to go then. It is massive, so you definitely need a few hours to see it all!

So tell me - did you go to the show? What was your favourite booth and did you buy anything?

Photobucket

13 comments:

Stephanie Fazio (aka lealou) said...

Plan to head there Friday when Leo's in daycare - can't wait! I have to go by myself because I go up every row and take my time. I'm annoying like that ha!

ramblingrenovators said...

I was just going to say - how did I miss you at the Media preview?? So glad you got to enjoy the show anyway. It is definitely mommy friendly and has lots of great gifts for kids. I bought a red riding hood cape for Chloe two years ago at Patouche and though she's outgrown it, I'm hesitant to pass it on to her younger cousin. These handmade goods have some beautiful craftsmanship.


I'm actually speaking at the show tomorrow night! It should be crazy.

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Jen that is so fun! Good luck tomorrow - I'm sure you will be great!!

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Oh yeah - we went up and down every row. Slowly. Luca got tired of it all by Row O, so I had to carry him. Not quite as fun then :-) Have a good time!

Britt said...

Great mommmy-round up! I can say, although I went to the show, I don't remember seeing a lot of these booths... must be my lack of mommy brain! I did however stop by Velvet Moustache! Their pillows are super cute! I was thinking about buying the sheep for Amanda for the new nursery.

Meg said...

Was inspired by your post, so I packed the little guy up and hit the show mom-styles today. Such a great way to spend a dreary November day! Thanks for the recommendation.

Heather @ InteriorGroupie said...

Looks like a great show - so many cute things!

Alison said...

just got back and Rhys loved every bit of it. He was flirting with all the ladies and ogling us when we were doing the taste test. Love those owl hats, but too rich for my blood. I ended up buy him a gingerbread hand puppet from "El Puppet".

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

I love everything you showed here - adorable stuff!

sam said...

How did Luca nap while you were there? I just put my 6 month old on a similar schedule (2.5 hrs between naps) and I can't figure out how to leave the house without running into a nap time. Any advice?

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

I totally get it! We have started throwing caution to the wind a few times during the week so I can get out of the house. I stay home for the first two naps but then he naps in the stroller when I go out. I don't do it too frequently because he doesn't nap well in it and I don't want to ruin all if our hard work!

Christine Shankowsky said...

Don't you love it when places are mom friendly like that!? Man, this show looks so awesome, I get so jealous of you torontonians every year!

Curious Little Bird said...

I wish I had a chance to attend myself, to sell my adorable furry monsters. Perhaps next year!