Saturday, December 22, 2012

Luca's Six Month Check-In


That's right! Last Monday (yes, I'm behind, as usual!), Luca turned six months old!! Happy half-birthday to him!!

Just like everyone promised, as each month goes by, Luca gets better and better and I enjoy my time with him that much more. He is getting to be pretty cool!


Mood:

This is an area where I keep seeing major improvements!! Some days, he is happy for almost 80-90% of the time he is awake! SO amazing! Laughing, smiling, babbling and making funny faces - it is actually pleasurable spending time with him!!


I know that makes it sounds like I didn't enjoy my time with him before. I know that makes me seem awful, but it is kind of true. We were both pretty miserable so it is SO great seeing him so happy!

As usual, he is still sensitive when he is tired (he has on more than one occasion burst into tears when J sneezed) but as long as I'm careful with his sleep, we can usually go most days with very little or no crying.

Thank goodness.

He even laughs!


Sleep:

He continues to be a great sleeper thanks to all of his hard work under the guidance of Pam Nease. Still sleeping 11-12 hours at night (straight through) and 9 times out of 10, he doesn't make a peep before falling asleep. Just grabs his lovey, gives me a big smile, and goes to sleep. Awesome.

Naps are decent - the odd day is rough with four 45 minute naps, but most days have one nap that is 2-3 hours, one that is 1.5 and one that is 45 minutes. I'll take it :-) The smile on his face when he sees me after a nap makes all of this sleep training SO worth it!

Feeding:

We started feeding him solids this month following Baby-Led Weaning (i.e. we skipped the purees and there is no spoon-feeding by us). It is so fun watching him grab big chunks of food and move it right to his mouth. It is amazing how he picked it up in all of 20 seconds. 

The first day, he gagged a few times whenever something would actually make it into his mouth. He pretty quickly learned what food felt like in his mouth and figured out how to push it out with his tongue if he wasn't loving it and swallow it if he was! 



Here are some videos. Again, ignore my annoying baby voice. I never take the video thinking I'm going to post it for anyone other than my family to see. You'd think I would remember that I have a blog and I love posting embarrassing stuff. Jeesh.



So far he has tried honeydew, banana, sweet potato, green beans, cucumber, avocado, broccoli, red pepper, apple, raspberries, pear and french toast. He didn't love broccoli at first but now thinks it is pretty awesome. He has enjoyed everything else with the exception of raspberries. He tried one today and promptly burst into tears. 

Raspberries in the winter. Definitely tear-worthy in my books.

Anyway, it has been a really fun, low-stress way to introduce solids to Luca. I don't worry about how much he is eating, whether he is getting certain calories or a well balanced diet. He is still drinking as much milk as before and the food is more for fun right now. He actually loves sitting in his high chair and snacking with us!

Growth:

He is currently 16 lbs 2 oz and 26" long (if I remember correctly - the paper it was written down on was in the ill-fated diaper bag that some jerk is cruising around the city with). While he has gained weight since his last appointment, he has dropped quite a few points on that crazy chart that all moms seem to compare their kids on talk about. You know the one. Non-mothers probably roll their eyes everytime they hear a mom say "so what percentile is your son?" or "well my son started at the 60th percentile for weight and now he is up to the 90th!!" to which all the surrounding mothers give sounds and words of admiration and respect whilst simultaneously adding or subtracting in their heads to figure out if they are keeping up.

You know what I mean, right?

Anyways, Luca is a bit of a string bean but the doctor isn't concerned. Especially with yummy legs like this (Luca's, not the doctor's):


I couldn't be happier with that mid-thigh roll. So delicious.

Here he is looking like a Calvin Klein model nice and skinny:


Still wearing 3-6 months clothing but is starting to bust out of some of his jammies.

Likes and Dislikes:

Likes: standing up, his exersaucer, sitting in his high chair and eating solids, being tickled, his Nanny, singing songs, reaching for things, touching our faces, using Skype or FaceTime to chat with friends and family, pulling mama's hair, grabbing his feet, staring at the tv and smiling at women.

Dislikes: being tired, getting out of his car seat, having his ride broken into,  spending too much time on his back, dad's sneezes. Oh, and raspberries, I guess!







Photobucket

4 comments:

KDot said...

Luca is adorable!

Megan said...

He's so cute. I love reading about how much more fun he is now, gives me hope that as my 12 week old girl gets older we will have more good days than bad. ;)

Megan said...

He is so cute! I love reading about how much he has changed and how much more you are enjoying him...it gives me hope that life with my 3 month old will just get better and better.

Shrewt said...

what a cutie!! sleep training is hard but looks like everyone is reaping the benefits!