Wednesday, January 23, 2013

It's Time For Some Consoling...

A while back I posted some pictures of our mostly-complete front entrance area and I promised I would give you some more details regarding the handmade console table.

DSC01002

I had seen tables like this before and every time I got close to pulling the trigger, J would say something like "my dad could make that for WAY cheaper". I usually brushed it off because it seemed like too big a project and eventually, I'd want an actual table (and not just the promise of a table).

J persevered and after I found a table during one of my "my baby always screams unless I'm out walking" walks, he actually asked his dad if it could be done. The answer was yes.

Here is the table I found:

Untitled

J's dad is an extremely talented welder and he put the base together in a few hours.

CIMG1382

CIMG1385

CIMG1387

CIMG1391

CIMG1392

Untitled

We then picked out a piece of reclaimed wood from Urban Tree Salvage in Scarborough. According to J (I was home with Luca and helped select the wood via text message), the shop had a bunch of great options that could have worked. We ended up picking one that was a bit thinner than originally anticipated, but I liked the idea of it being a little less bulky. Plus the wood we purchased was $21.

Untitled

It had a lot of nail holes and knots, but we loved it! We were planning on trimming the rough ends, but once we put it on top of the base, it just worked. No cutting necessary!

Although I loved the gorgeous brown/grey colour, we wanted to get rid of some of the splinters and rough spots. J started with a light sanding, and followed it up with 4 coats of pure tung oil.

Untitled

Untitled


The old, dry wood soaked up the oil like a sponge, which is why we needed 4 coats.

Untitled

Untitled

Here it is still wet:

Untitled

So thanks to J and his dad, a few hours of work and about $80 in materials, we have a custom made console table!

DSC01003

Now...if we just had a woodworker in the family... ;-)

Photobucket

16 comments:

Hannah McIntosh-Burke said...

My father in law needs to learn some new skills - that is GORGEOUS!

Pam @ Cherish Toronto said...

It looks so good, Janice!! Your father in law did an amazing job. Plus, I loooove that rug, it's gorgeous. Your entry makes a great first impression :-)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This is gorgeous. I loe metal based tables. I actually have a very similar coffee table that Ryan made me for Cheistnas. Now I want him to build me a few others. ;)

Keira said...

Love that table!

CA_Powell said...

That is amazing! What a lucky girl you are to have that kind of talent in the family!

Nette @ This Dusty House said...

This totally makes me wish I had some welding skills. Or a relative with welding skills.


Also, I can't remember if you shared it before or if I commented when/if you shared it before, but I absolutely LOVE that print of the scissors! It's gorgeous!

Polly said...

Beautiful!! Does he take orders? Seriously, he could make some money....

Joi said...

I love it! Now it has sentimental value too. Don't you just love having a handy FIL? I do!

Nicole Scott said...

That's a fantastic console! You and your FIL should make more!!

Heather @ InteriorGroupie said...

wow - definitely lucky to know a welder (how many people can say that??) It is gorgeous. Now to check out urban salvage for a project of mine...thanks for the tip!

Lisa Goulet said...

This is just such a beautiful console table. How wonderful to have a welder in the family. It really makes your entrance!

Saeed Zia said...

Jobs at your Home, Internet Online Jobs like data entry, copy pasting, Form Filling, Facebook Sharing Jobs, Clicking Jobs, Web Surfing, Google Jobs and Much More Earning Systems Online

www.jobzcorner.com

angiedasner said...

An amazing entrance to your home and the perfect place for that scissor print (which is pretty Fab-O). The table is a lovely piece of furniture which will be overflowing with memories. Now, I need to find myself a welder. :)

Tia (Moor of Everything) said...

Wowee! Turned out perfectly. Nice work

emily said...

that's beautiful. i love a local blog...thanks for sharing! i'm wondering if you can tell me where the rug is from?

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Great job.Thanks for sharing such an amazing blog.Keep up writing.

ming green marble Tile