Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Porch Sneak Peek

The word 'sneak' is a weird one eh? Look at it too long and it really looks odd, like there is no way that can be a real word.

Anyway - Saturday in Toronto was insanely nice. Like 11 degrees (hey - it is all relative!). It was warm-ish. What leaves were still on the trees rustled in the breeze and the sun was out all day long. It was pretty fantastic.

Mostly because it meant I could paint the porch!!

We had always planned to paint the porch - we chose wood that required painting (unfinished pine) because a) our house is painted, so I think it looks better and b) to get wood that is nice enough to leave natural, it would have cost a small fortune.

So, we chose pine and as soon as we signed on the dotted line, the temperature took a nosedive. How did Mother Nature know?!

I was getting a little nervous that we'd end up leaving it unprotected all winter until I saw the forecast for this past Saturday! 11 degrees! Sun! On a weekend!!

I rushed to our favourite paint store (Primetime Paints on Queen), grabbed two gallons and dragged them home in anticipation for a glorious day of painting.

I painted from 8:30 until 5:30 p.m.

It didn't feel that glorious. Actually, it felt tiring and my legs still hurt. I guess that is what happens when you have a young son and only one person can paint at a time (little bugger hasn't figured out how to paint yet! Jeesh!). I was lucky enough to rope one of my friends into helping out for an hour or so, which was awesome! Thanks P :-)

I did manage to get 2 coats of white and one coat of the dark done before the rain came on Sunday and unless we get another heat wave, this is how it will stay for the rest of the winter. Phew.

Here is a little peek at what it looks like!!

Porch painting

Porch painting

Porch painting

PS - and in other news, what is UP with men and natural wood? I can't tell you how many guys walked by and said "oh...you should have left it natural."

Really? OMG Thanks!! Want to come help strip the paint I've already put on?

Thanks for the input, tips.

Photobucket

8 comments:

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

oooooh, it's going to look ah-mazing!!!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

OOOO pretty!!!! Love it!!!!!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

I love that you were able to work on this project even with a small child at home. I know somebody who claims that she can't do any "work" on the house because of her 1 1/2yr old who is very well behaved. This just proves to me that one day when we have kids we will still be able to work on our projects. So Kudos to you!


Also, love how the white and dark look on the stairs. AND yes guys do have some weird fascination with natural wood not being painted.

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Ok, I feel so bad complaining that's its cold today 60 degrees here, but its Cali so I get a pass on complaining right? :)


The porch looks amazing love the white & dark such a stunning color combination :)

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

To be fair, the raw wood does look really lovely (though, I'm sure, it's very impractical and unlikely to last long)!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Looks awesome! Love your comment about the natural wood. Hubby and I have very different visions of a future cottage. I am all in for a white, pale blues, beachy place... and he... wood.... lots of it... with a Tim Allen man laugh on the side.

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Haha! Oh the peanut gallery. It looks pretty awesome from where I stand. Well done and extremely great timing for painting last sat!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Did you have to shellac your porch?



I've had a heck of a time with a pine porch I got professionally installed last year. Before installation, my husband and I spot-shellaced the knots, used oil primer, and painted two coats with SW latex. Pine sap still bled-through! :( Our spindles were custom-turned, so I don't know if the wood was too wet still? ugh. This fall I ended up shellacing *everything*, priming, and re-painting again. I swear, if sap comes through next year, I give up...