Thursday, March 27, 2014

Coffee Table Options

So ever since the waterfall table broke (sad) we've been 'suffering' through having just one tiny table. J and I are both the type who put our feet on the table (judge away) so it has become increasingly obvious that we need to get on this new table thing.

So as a reminder, here is the room (this is an old pic - but you get the idea):


The table needs to be narrow and not too high as the couch is quite low. Those turquoise lamps are gone (need side tables too now, since we got rid of the old ones).

So here are some options:

1. DIY a table.

I'm not super keen on this because I'm kind of tired of DIY but we did think of buying a nice piece of exotic wood, cutting it into an oval and adding some legs.


Legs like this:


or this:


2. Buy New.

Now this isn't our style usually. But I've scoured Craigslist and Kijiji and so far no luck. So here are some new ones that I like, though I'm not sure style-wise.





You can see my preference is oval. I figure no sharp edges for the kid (or my shins) and will give us the narrowness we need.

Colour wise - I'm not sure. I feel like because the chairs are black/whiteish-cream and the rug is the same, that brown probably won't work, and maybe even the marble tops would be too white.

Thoughts? DIY? Purchase new? Hold out for Craigslist?

Photobucket

16 comments:

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

I like the marble west elm because it looks hot and it can probably take an ass-kicking!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

check out the consignments first though!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

I really love the CB2 marble one (we have it in our man room). Provided you dont mind that its very low to the ground - its a great option.


I like the west elm brass one but it feels really small to me....like it would work better as a table with a settee but not with a big couch.

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

I like both of them - the CB2 one is 12" high which would maybe work with the condo-sized couch (which is 16" tall). The West Elm one is 42"w x 24"d x 18"h. which is actually just about right (though I'm not loving that it is 2" higher than the couch.


That said - you think the marble will work with the creaminess of the couch/etc?

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Im all about mixing whites so even a stark white table wouldn't bother me personally but in this case, the CB table isn't really stark white. Its more of a gray.


Not sure you can see that in these photos but you could totally put a cream colored book, tray or bowl on the table and bam, you have coordination.

http://www.brooklynlimestone.com/2014/01/finshed-for-now-man-room.html

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Really? I wouldn't think you'd choose that one haha. You think the marble would work? PS I don't have the time to stalk consignment shops! I need someone else (ahem) to do it for me.

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Looks wise, new and marble! :) unless you find marble used. But even with rounded corners marble is still pretty hard to bump up against...

I would get something with wood. I feel it is more forgiving and softer for kids. And I would not worry about it as much as marble. We have a wooden one and it takes a beating beautifully. It's also super rustic, so any bumps and scratches are completely hidden. We have something like this (but wider): http://www.zonemaison.com/meubles/poufs_bancs/40399. It's also not so expensive that you won't justify getting another one once your little boy is a bit older.

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

That marble one is gorgeous! I was going to DIY a coffee table....9 months ago :) hubs is ready to kill me over my slacking on the living room rug and coffee table :)

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Go with your gut! They all are really nice, but if you have a fave treat yourself!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Oh I LOVE the west elm with the cast iron base ... not sure it is perfect for your room ... maybe replace the wood with glass .... just that as I'm scrolling thru my heart stopped at the iron base .. BEAUTIFUL :-)
Sharon at Home

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

I like the cb2 ember (first pic). I think it goes best with the lines of the chairs, and you can always add cream/white accent decoration on top of it!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

I think some wood - like the West Elm Cast Iron base - would be a nice, warm addition to the room. Can't wait to see what you choose :)

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

So many good options. I think the CB2 Ember might look nice with your room.

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

I kinda love the ones with the marble tops, but that's just me. Have you checked out One Kings Lane or Joss & Main? They both seem to have a lot of coffee tables and end tables these days. I just got a ton of stuff from Joss & Main for the nursery at really great prices.

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Thanks Sara! Unfortunately those places don't typically ship to Canada (or if they do it is prohibitively expensive). You guys get all the good shopping!!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Check out Around The Block and The Singing Lady, both have websites to see if there is anything you like. If this is for your TV room have you considered an ottoman & getting a slip cover made, great for little ones & for putting your feet up.